Subject: Postgresql Wal archive and Barman setup

From: sa sa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2026 17:17:21 +0100

Hello All,

 I have a scenario, where I need some suggestions and improvements if
applicable.

Our setup in brief
1) Primary --> standby
    using archive_command = rsync to primary local location and standby
local location
2) Primary --> Barman
    Using streaming. Barman backup location is /nfs/DD9
3) Archive cleanup on primary is setup via crontab to every 14 days.

Here is my scenario, If my barman nfs is down for 5 days and my local
archive location is filled up during this time. what will happen.

if my /srv/archive (location archive wal location) on primary and standby
is 100% full during this time.
my /srv/data is going to be 100% full , causing my cluster to go down.

So what are the suggestions to avoid this situation.

Thanks,
Sa

---

From: masheed ullah <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2026 10:15:14 +0300

You need to actively monitor archive location to avoid space issue.

Schedule a job to send alert email when archive location full to 80% or 90%

Best Regards,
*Masheed Ullah*

---

From: Venkat Akhil Pavuluri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2026 12:58:24 +0530

Hi sa sa,

As per the best practices, maintain different mount points for the data
directory and the archive location. In your case, data_directory is
`/srv/data` and the archive location is `/srv/archive`, meaning both reside
on the `/srv/` mount point. If your archive location is on a different
mount point, your archives will fail (which will have its own
repercussions) but your cluster will remain operational.

And also having alert system to send mails will help you as Masheed said.

Thanks and Regards
Venkat Akhil P
OpenSource DB
Your Trusted Data Partner