Subject: Inquiry: Using PostgreSQL as a Staging Database for SAP ERP Data Export

From: Ian Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2025 09:47:39 +0800

Dear PostgreSQL Community Team,

I hope this message finds you well.

I’m currently exploring options for implementing a staging (intermediate)
database to handle outbound data exports from an SAP ERP system. I would
like to inquire whether PostgreSQL is considered a suitable and stable
solution for this purpose, particularly in terms of performance, data
integrity, and compatibility with SAP or third-party middleware.

Specifically, I’m interested in the following:

   -

   Any known use cases or best practices of using PostgreSQL in SAP ERP
   data pipelines.
   -

   Recommendations or considerations for integrating PostgreSQL in such a
   scenario.
   -

   Whether there are any limitations or concerns regarding this
   architecture.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could direct me to any relevant
documentation, user groups, or case studies that could help.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,

Ian Huang.

---

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 12:49:53 -0400

That's a little too vague of a question, but yes, Postgres should be able
to handle things just fine. The amount of SAP tools and SAP-supporting ETL
tools that also support Postgres should be a strong encouragement. I'd
recommend looking at the specific tools you would use and confirming they
have Postgres support built in. Then try and find use cases / complaints
for those specific items.

Cheers,
Greg

--
Crunchy Data - https://www.crunchydata.com
Enterprise Postgres Software Products & Tech Support

---

From: Ian Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 08:10:06 +0800

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your feedback.
I’ve tried connecting to PostgreSQL using the ADBC method, but
unfortunately the SAP Kernel doesn’t have the corresponding .os (DBMS)
file, so the connection could not be established.
May I ask if connecting via ADBC is actually feasible in this case?

Best regards,
Ian

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 11:13:56 -0400

This link says that there's an ADBC driver for Postgresql:
https://arrow.apache.org/adbc/current/driver/status.html

You should probably research _IT_ and SAP as to why your SAP installation
does not have the PG driver.

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!