Subject: Selecting all variations of job title in a list

From: Rich Shepard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2025 08:33:07 -0800 (PST)

Companies can have slightly different titles for the same job; for example
(using abbreviations). 'Asst Gen Mgr.', 'Env Mgr,', 'Gen Mgr,'. 'Mgr,',
'Plant Mgr.'

I want to select all people table rows that contain these varieties. I know
the 'like' operator uses '%' as a wildcard, but is not accepted in an 'in'
list.

Is there a way to use a multicharacter wildcard in an 'in' list?

TIA,

Rich

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2025 14:15:36 -0700

> (using abbreviations). 'Asst Gen Mgr.', 'Env Mgr,', 'Gen Mgr,'. 'Mgr,',

Suggest encoding that knowledge in a table then using normal joins and
filters to query against whatever you;ve decided is the canonical spelling
of the relevant position.

David J.