Subject: Re: Questions about document "Concurrenry control" section

From: iseki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 21:00:25 +0800

Oh sorry, I should use [reply to all] instead of [reply]. I don't have 
much experience with mailing lists...

But why the mailing list haven't use the "Reply-To" header specify where 
to reply? Because the mail is you send to me directly?

Thank you.

On 2024/10/11 14:53, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-10-11 at 11:04 +0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>> Maybe add the whole example or the URL to the document is better?
> You shouldn't address that reply to me personally...
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

---

From: Erik Wienhold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 15:46:56 +0200

On 2024-10-11 15:00 +0200, iseki wrote:
> Oh sorry, I should use [reply to all] instead of [reply]. I don't have much
> experience with mailing lists...
> 
> But why the mailing list haven't use the "Reply-To" header specify where to
> reply? Because the mail is you send to me directly?

The message author sets Reply-To, if necessary, according to RFC 5322.
Are there mailing lists that actually set this header?

-- 
Erik

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 10:19:13 -0400

> Are there mailing lists that actually set this header?

It's been done in the past, but current practice is strongly against
it.  For example, in your own message that I'm replying to, there's
a DKIM signature (RFC 6376):

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ewie.name; s=MBO0001;
	t=1728654419;
	h=from:from:reply-to:subject:subject:date:date:message-id:message-id:
	 to:to:cc:cc:mime-version:mime-version:content-type:content-type:
	 in-reply-to:in-reply-to:references:references;
	bh=7w7CHebdKaXtlhCMxa/jNIcoEy1tFhZmzOD+dT7nP8k=;
	b=K3s//HzYXU+chTDeY5p/wGwd5eglESiaugVSpGWo49ryL9ajLdimYMD3uIc3rr8PglZizV
	nk2wDiMsHnLR0EAgKsGzNvtxt4N9hHxMk7UI3F4XOVYqnemk95YVRNpFpEFww833uUqA+9
	RPypj/ezsKbi2vBzzXIoZ+Tf3t6XfuZYf6poq1J+ud0X278yQMnA1XbZNsenQkCWoYPiXb
	yklxY2Nbp9NyiDHCDQ0KPYAT6/0ttzbprNhgSzhN7LND6ehUvLlsmKG3rwqby2LmFRwliQ
	RDZ4MAxEzZKfOr8HGnubQf8FdQPGw6jlAn3U8199c+3QcIAWJ99Wrtb5rQPdEw==

That lists "reply-to" as one of the signed header fields.  So if the
mailing list were to modify Reply-To (including inserting one where
there was none before) a DKIM-verifying recipient would regard the
message as a forgery.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: iseki zero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 10:25:08 +0800

So, should I use the [reply to all] button? I'm afraid the receipt list 
will growing to have too many address.

BTW, I'm using Thunderbird. If you have better software, tell me please.

Sorry for my poor English.

iseki zero.

在 2024/10/11 22:19, Tom Lane 写道:
> Erik Wienhold<[email-masked]> writes:

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 19:38:40 -0700

> will growing to have too many address.
Yes, just use reply-all.  The to list only grows when people reply, and it
is a mailing list - all these people are getting the email anyway…this just
lets them filter on things they have replied to.

David J.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 11:10:46 +0800

I found. Maybe we should reply to the mailing list only. Otherwise we'll receive multiple copies of the emails.

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 21:21:16 -0700

> receive multiple copies of the emails.

Not if you go here:

https://lists.postgresql.org/manage/

and check:

Don't receive an extra copy of mails when listed in To or CC fields

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 12:09:05 +0200

On 2024-10-12 10:25:08 +0800, iseki zero wrote:
> So, should I use the [reply to all] button?

This mailing-list (like most lists) sets the "List-Post" header:

List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>

So the best thing would be for the mail program to detect that and offer
a [reply to list] button. Not many do, though, so [reply to all] is
probably your best choice.

> I'm afraid the receipt list will growing to have too many address.

Not much of a problem since usually there won't be that many people
participating in a thread.

> BTW, I'm using Thunderbird. If you have better software, tell me please.

I'm using (neo)mutt, but these days the limitations of a text-only
mailer can be quite noticeable.

        hp

-- 
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) |                    |
| |   | [email-masked]         |    -- Charles Stross, "Creative writing
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       challenge!"

---

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 12:17:19 +0200

> Don't receive an extra copy of mails when listed in To or CC fields

Yes, but that's the wrong way around. Then I get some mails only
directly and some only through the list, which makes proper filtering
hard to impossible. For me it's much better to get all the mails through
the list (so I can use the List-ID header to filter them into the
appropriate folder) and live with the extra copies in my inbox. I would
prefer to not get those extra copies, but there is nothing the list can
do about them, that's under the control of the sender.

        hp

---

From: Arbol One <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 07:30:20 -0400

Yes, this is IMOP, the best way.
I have set up Thunderbird to throw everything that is not in my contact 
list to Trash, thus your email will never be read by me if you don't use 
- Reply to Mailing list -. Just saying.

On 2024-10-11 11:10 p.m., [email-masked] wrote:
> I found. Maybe we should reply to the mailing list only. Otherwise 
> we'll receive multiple copies of the emails.
>
>
>
-- 
*/ArbolOne ™/*
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing 
free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne's development on Java, PostgreSQL, HTML and Jakarta EE is in 
progress [ í ]

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 09:02:37 -0700

> do about them, that's under the control of the sender.

Not following. If it goes through the list either by 'Reply to list' or 
Reply All' it is going to pick up the List-ID and be filtered. All the 
setting does is make sure you don't get extra copies when your email is 
in the To or CC fields, which is the list doing something about them. 
I've been using this for years and aside from some general list/email 
issues it has worked as advertised.

---

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 00:24:01 +0200

On 2024-10-12 09:02:37 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> setting does is make sure you don't get extra copies when your email is in
> the To or CC fields, which is the list doing something about them.

What it is doing about them is to drop the message (it can't do anything
else). So if I send a message to [email-masked],
[email-masked] you will get the copy sent directly
to your address (which won't have any List headers set), but not the
copy sent to [email-masked]. So basically you don't
have any reliable way to detect that the message was sent to the
mailing-list (the best bet is probably to filter on the To: and Cc:
headers, but that may fail (both with false positives and false
negatives); some mailing-lists put a tag in the subject, but nobody
removes that for a private reply.

> issues it has worked as advertised.

Maybe you like the way it works. I find it useless, because it does
exactly the opposite of what I would want it to do (but I know that
that's impossible).

        hp