Subject: PgbackRest : Stanza creation fails on DB Server and Repo Server

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 19:39:18 +0530

I am trying  pgbackrest config  on a Production Server and a Repo server (
RHEL 9.4  EPAS 16 , pgbackrest 2.52.1

I have configured   pbbackrest.conf on both machines  as per the official
docs.

>From b*oth machines password less auth works for the db user *(enterprisedb
) and repouser(postgres)

.

When I create the stanza on both the  DB server and Repo server it fails
with

connection to server socket failed  no password supplied..

################################################################################
Here my configs on both primary and repo server.

DB Server.
[root@db1 ~]# cat /etc/pgbackrest/pgbackrest.conf
[Repo]
pg1-path=/data/edb/as16/data
pg1-port=5444
pg1-user=enterprisedb
pg-version-force=16
pg1-database=edb

[global]
repo1-host=10.255.0.40
repo1-host-user=postgres
archive-async=y
spool-path=/var/spool/pgbackrest
log-level-console=info
log-level-file=debug
delta=y

[global:archive-get]
process-max=2

[global:archive-push]
process-max=4
[root@db1 ~]#

Reposerver
[root@dbtest ~]# cat /etc/pgbackrest/pgbackrest.conf
[Repo]
pg1-host=10.15.0.202
pg1-host-user=enterprisedb
pg1-path=/data/edb/as16/data
pg-version-force=16

[global]
repo1-path=/data/DB_BKUPS
repo1-block=y
repo1-bundle=y
repo1-retention-full=2
repo1-retention-diff=2
repo1-cipher-type=aes-256-cbc
repo1-cipher-pass=acbd
process-max=5
log-level-console=info
log-level-file=debug
start-fast=y
delta=y

[global:archive-push]
compress-level=3
[root@dbtest ~]#

*On DB Server stanza creation fails with  *
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
[root@db1 ~]# sudo -u enterprisedb pgbackrest --stanza=Repo
--log-level-console=info stanza-create
2024-08-28 19:30:31.518 P00   INFO: stanza-create command begin 2.52.1:
--exec-id=4062179-ecf39176 --log-level-console=info --log-level-file=debug
--pg1-database=edb --pg1-path=/data/edb/as16/data --pg1-port=5444
--pg1-user=enterprisedb --pg-version-force=16 --repo1-host=10.255.0.40
--repo1-host-user=postgres --stanza=Repo
*WARN: unable to check pg1: [DbConnectError] unable to connect to
'dbname='edb' port=5444 user='enterprisedb'': connection to server on
socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5444" failed: fe_sendauth: no password supplied*
ERROR: [056]: unable to find primary cluster - cannot proceed
       HINT: are all available clusters in recovery?
2024-08-28 19:30:31.523 P00   INFO: stanza-create command end: aborted with
exception [056]
[root@db1 ~]#

*On Repo server:  stanza creation fails with follows. *

[root@dbtest ~]# sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=Repo
--log-level-console=info stanza-create
2024-08-28 19:21:10.958 P00   INFO: stanza-create command begin 2.52.1:
--exec-id=350565-6e032daa --log-level-console=info --log-level-file=debug
--pg1-host=10.15.0.202 --pg1-host-user=enterprisedb
--pg1-path=/data/edb/as16/data --pg-version-force=16
--repo1-cipher-pass=<redacted> --repo1-cipher-type=aes-256-cbc
--repo1-path=/data/DB_BKUPS --stanza=Repo

*WARN: unable to check pg1: [DbConnectError] raised from remote-0 ssh
protocol on '10.15.0.202': unable to connect to 'dbname='edb' port=5444
user='enterprisedb'': connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5444"
failed: fe_sendauth: no password suppliedERROR: [056]: unable to find
primary cluster - cannot proceed*
       HINT: are all available clusters in recovery?
2024-08-28 19:21:12.462 P00   INFO: stanza-create command end: aborted with
exception [056]
[root@dbtest ~]#

My DB Server pg_hba.conf  as follows

# "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
local   all             all                                     md5
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    all             all             10.0.0.0/8              md5

# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
local   replication     all                                     md5
host    replication     all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    replication     all             ::1/128                 md5
host    replication     all             10.0.0.0/8              md5
[root@db1 ~]#

and I have   .pgpass in DB server as

[root@db1 ~]# cat /var/lib/edb/.pgpass
*:*:replication:enterprisedb:my_secret_password
[root@db1 ~]# ls -al /var/lib/edb/.pgpass
-rw-------. 1 enterprisedb enterprisedb 38 Aug 28 19:01 /var/lib/edb/.pgpass
[root@db1 ~]#

WHy it complains about  no password supplied..

Any help is much appreciated.

Krishane

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 07:30:23 -0700

> and I have   .pgpass in DB server as

You assumed this mattered but I see no mention that pgBackRest consults
this file.

It seems to require the local entry in pg_hba.conf to use peer
authentication.

David J.