Subject: Re: PgBackRest Full backup and N/W reliability

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 09:24:00 -0400

On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 2:21 AM KK CHN <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am doing a full backup  using PgBackRest from a production server to
> Reposerver.
>
...

> If so, does the backup process start  again from  scratch ?   or it
> resumes from  where the backup process is stopped   ?
>

It resumes. You will see a message like this:

WARN: resumable backup 20240829-091727F of same type exists -- invalid
files will be removed then the backup will resume

Any suggestions much appreciated

Boost your process-max as high as you are able to speed up your backup time.

Cheers,
Greg

---

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 21:37:39 +0530

> Boost your process-max as high as you are able to speed up your backup
what will be the ideal process-max number to use ?

 Once I update the process-max param in pgbackrest.conf ,  do I need to
stop and  start the pgback rest ?

Or just editing the pgbackrest.conf  on the fly will reflect the increased
process-max  numbers advantage ?

Is there a limit for proces max. setting ?

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 14:10:45 -0400

> what will be the ideal process-max number to use ?

We can't answer that.  It depends on what else your PG and PgBackRest
servers are doing when "pgbackrest backup" runs.

> process-max  numbers advantage ?

"pgbackrest backup" reads the config file when it starts.

> Is there a limit for proces max. setting ?

I think you need managed DBA services.

-- 
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!