Subject: Re: Pgbackrest fails due after an ISP change

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2025 12:18:27 -0400

On Mon, Apr 21, 2025 at 9:03 AM KK CHN <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> ERROR: [082]: WAL segment 000000010000022000000038 was not archived before
> the 60000ms timeout
>
...

> How can I make the full backup command not to check the  WAL was archived
> or not  to the repo server for atleast once ?
>

You cannot. WAL is an integral part of the backups. You should run the
pgbackrest "check" command and look at your Postgres logs to figure out why
WAL files are not being archived. Once that is solved, try the backup again.

https://pgbackrest.org/command.html#command-check

Cheers,
Greg

--
Crunchy Data - https://www.crunchydata.com
Enterprise Postgres Software Products & Tech Support

---

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 11:02:52 +0530

Hi List,

Thanks for the clarification.

 If I want to start a fresh backup to the same repo server ( the one which
fails the pgbackrest backup due to the file system full outage) what all
are  the steps I have to perform on the Repo Server and the DB server ?

AFAIK,    These all are the steps  required , correct me if I'm wrong.

1.  Stop the   stanza on both repo server as well as on DB server      (
$sudo -u  myuser  pgbackrest --stanza=My_RepoX  --force stop)
2.  Then delete the stanza from either Repo Server or DB server (  by the
delete stanza option ) Is the deletion of the stanza needed to be
performed only at the Repo server is enough ?
3.  After deletion of the stanza,   delete the folders in the repo server
 archive, backup respectively by ( rm -f   archive    , rm -rf backup
 folders  for My_RepoX ?)
4. Then execute the same  stanza create command  from the reposerver  ?  (
$ sudo -u myuser pgbackrest  --stanza=My_RepoX  --log-level-console=info
stanza-create)?
5.  Then Check the stanza creation and config all perfect by  (  sudo -u
myuser pgbackrest --stanza=My_RepoX  --log-level-console=info check )
6.   If the step 5 success,   schedule the full backup from the cron

I hope  this will help me to take backup afresh in case an existing
pgbackrest backup  fails ( whatever the stupid reason what happened as in
my case ) .

( In my case pgbackrest fails due to the scenario I faced, I mean due to
the file system full  and didn't notice it for 24 hours, even after made
space of the partition /root which got full,  later on the pgbackrest
backups from cron scheduler unable to complete the backup)

   If anything is wrong or not sufficient as in the 6 steps AFAIK (As this
a live Repo Server for other DB Clusters too, more than 10 nos, nothing
should go wrong) ,   please correct/guide me

Thank you,
Krishane

On Mon, Apr 21, 2025 at 9:49 PM Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> ERROR: [082]: WAL segment 000000010000022000000038 was not archived
>> before the 60000ms timeout
>>
> ...
>