Subject: Re: PgbackRest : Stanza creation fails on DB Server and Repo Server

From: Amitabh Kant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 20:24:41 +0530

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 8:00 PM David G. Johnston <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 28, 2024, KK CHN <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>> and I have   .pgpass in DB server as
>>
>
> You assumed this mattered but I see no mention that pgBackRest consults
> this file.
>
> It seems to require the local entry in pg_hba.conf to use peer
> authentication.
>
> David J.
>
>
Section 21.4 on this page (
https://pgbackrest.org/user-guide.html#introduction )  does seem to mention
the use of .pgpass file. I have no idea about the actual problem though.

Amitabh

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 07:58:04 -0700

On Wednesday, August 28, 2024, Amitabh Kant <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Section 21.4 on this page ( https://pgbackrest.org/user-
> guide.html#introduction )  does seem to mention the use of .pgpass file.
> I have no idea about the actual problem though.
>

Yes, postgres itself uses .pgpass so when you configure streaming
replication between two servers, something that is doable regardless of
using pgBackRest, the server-to-server connection can utilize .pgpass.

David J.

---

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 10:27:39 +0530

Thank you all for the great help ..

I couldn't get a chance to    Restart the DB Cluster after making the
changes highlighted.  Correct me if I am wrong (  production server, down
time requested.  ) after editing the     pg_hba.conf  on   DB server as
follows
local   all             all                                     trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    all             all             10.0.0.0/8              md5

# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
local   replication     all                                      peer
#local   replication     all                                     md5
host    replication     all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    replication     all             ::1/128                 md5
host    replication     all             10.0.0.0/8              md5
[root@db1 edb]#

But a work around  seems worked as follows :

[root@db1 edb]# cat .pgpass
*:*:replication:enterprisedb:my_password

changed to

[root@db1 edb]# cat .pgpass
*:*:*:enterprisedb:password

For those struggling with this issue    this may help ...

on the DB server's   enterprisedb user's  home directory ( Here it is
/var/lib/edb/  )

[root@db1 edb]# cat .pgpass
*:*:*:enterprisedb:password
[root@db1 edb]# ls -al .pgpass
-rw-------. 1 enterprisedb enterprisedb 28 Aug 29 09:26 .pgpass
[root@db1 edb]#

[root@db1 edb]# ls -al .pgpass
-rw-------. 1 enterprisedb enterprisedb 28 Aug 29 09:26 .pgpass
[root@db1 edb]#

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 8:28 PM David G. Johnston <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> https://pgbackrest.org/user-guide.html#introduction )  does seem to
>> mention the use of .pgpass file. I have no idea about the actual problem
>> though.
>>
>