Subject: DB Files

From: Andy Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2024 09:27:36 -0500

I created a  new table (V16) and then used SimplySql to take data from
mssql to the new Postgres table. The table is 212gig in size. Myquestion
comes from the files created on the OS(Windows2022 server) I can see lots
of files with the last being:

2474695.143

They are all 1,048,576kb

Is this normal behaviour and could I have done something to use fewer files
and larger ones?

This table is created in a separate tablespace on a dedicated drive on the
windows file system.

 I'm just getting involved in this PostgreSql instance

THanks.

---

From: Torsten Förtsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2024 16:49:38 +0100

PG normally splits table data into 1GB chunks. The number before the dot is
called the filenode. You can translate it into a table name by

select oid::regclass::text from pg_class where relfilenode='2474695';

I believe there is an option to change that chunk size but you'd have to
recompile Postgres. The setting you need to change is called segment_size.

See https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-preset.html

On Fri, Nov 15, 2024 at 3:27 PM Andy Hartman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Is this normal behaviour and could I have done something to use fewer
> files and larger ones?
>
>