Subject: Error creating materialized view

From: Shaun Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2024 06:08:16 +0000

Hi,

I'm currently testing an application with Postgres 17.2 and am getting an
error when creating a materialized view which works in version 16 and
below. The sql works fine running as a query, but adding the
create materialized view breaks it.

The error comes when calling a custom function and the error is that a
relation doesn't exist (which it does as it works within the same query
when not creating a view).

Is this a known issue in the version 17.2?

Thanks
Shaun

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2024 13:54:45 +0100

On Mon, 2024-11-25 at 06:08 +0000, Shaun Robinson wrote:
> I'm currently testing an application with Postgres 17.2 and am getting an error
> when creating a materialized view which works in version 16 and below. The sql
> works fine running as a query, but adding the create materialized view breaks it.
> 
> The error comes when calling a custom function and the error is that a relation
> doesn't exist (which it does as it works within the same query when not creating
> a view).
> 

That's a deliberate improvemen; see the first point in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/release-17.html#RELEASE-17-MIGRATION

you will have to schema-qualify all tables in the function or set the
"search_path" on the function.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe