Subject: Query about pg_wal directory filled up

From: Rama Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 19:11:55 +0530

Hi Team,

One of our clients recently migrated from Oracle to PostgreSQL and is
conducting multiple scenarios to understand PostgreSQL behavior.

One of their main concerns is whether the database will allow `INSERT`
queries when the `pg_wal` directory becomes full.

As I understand, once the `pg_wal` directory is completely filled, the
database will allow only read queries and will not permit any write
operations.

Kindly advise

Thanks
RK

---

From: Saul Perdomo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2024 19:00:14 -0500

> queries when the `pg_wal` directory becomes full.
The way out of this "conundrum" is to make sure to implement a solid backup
process.

I'm a huge fan of PGBackRest:

https://pgbackrest.org/