Subject: Unknown temp directories and library files

From: Priancka Chatz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 20:36:01 +0200

Hi admins,

I am observing a new/unknown behavior on some of my instances. My postgres
Data directory path is /home/postgres/pgdata/pgroot/data. And I see a temp
directory present inside /home/postgres/pgdata which has 100s of directory
underneath it and inside each directory some library files related to
Psycopg2. Not sure what these files are and why it is getting created.
However, the only pattern I found is wherever Postgres is down this
behavior is seen.

I am attaching screenshots for reference.

Can anyone shed some light or direct me to any links to troubleshoot this?

Regards,
Priyanka

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 09:01:20 -0700

On 10/10/24 11:36, Priancka Chatz wrote:
> Hi admins,
> 
> I am observing a new/unknown behavior on some of my instances. My 
> postgres Data directory path is /home/postgres/pgdata/pgroot/data. And I 
> see a temp directory present inside /home/postgres/pgdata which has 100s 
> of directory underneath it and inside each directory some library files 
> related to Psycopg2. Not sure what these files are and why it is getting 
> created. However, the only pattern I found is wherever Postgres is down 
> this behavior is seen.

They are coming from an install of psycopg2-binary:

pip install psycopg2-binary

ll lib/python3.12/site-packages/psycopg2_binary.libs/
total 6944
drwxrwxr-x   2 aklaver aklaver    4096 Oct 13 08:55 ./
drwxrwxr-x 348 aklaver aklaver   20480 Oct 13 08:55 ../
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver   17497 Oct 13 08:55 
libcom_err-2abe824b.so.2.1*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver 3133185 Oct 13 08:55 
libcrypto-0628e7d4.so.1.1*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  345209 Oct 13 08:55 
libgssapi_krb5-497db0c6.so.2.2*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  219953 Oct 13 08:55 
libk5crypto-b1f99d5c.so.3.1*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver   17913 Oct 13 08:55 
libkeyutils-dfe70bd6.so.1.5*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver 1018953 Oct 13 08:55 libkrb5-fcafa220.so.3.3*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver   76873 Oct 13 08:55 
libkrb5support-d0bcff84.so.0.1*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver   60977 Oct 13 08:55 
liblber-5a1d5ae1.so.2.0.200*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  447329 Oct 13 08:55 
libldap-5d2ff197.so.2.0.200*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  406817 Oct 13 08:55 
libpcre-9513aab5.so.1.2.0*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  370777 Oct 13 08:55 libpq-e8a033dd.so.5.16*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  119217 Oct 13 08:55 
libsasl2-883649fd.so.3.0.0*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  178337 Oct 13 08:55 
libselinux-0922c95c.so.1*
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aklaver aklaver  646065 Oct 13 08:55 libssl-3e69114b.so.1.1*

Looks like something is setting up psycopg2-binary and psycopg2 as part 
of some script/tool/orm/etc in your $DATA directory.

Are you using something that uses psycopg2 as the client library?

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: Priancka Chatz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 20:34:41 +0200

Hi Adrian,

There is patroni and pgqd running on the server. So possibly these are
using psycopg2.

Regards,
Priyanka

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 12:42:32 -0700

> There is patroni and pgqd running on the server. So possibly these are 

You are  going to have investigate what is actually repeatedly 
installing psycopg2-binary and psycopg2.

Steps I can think of to do this:

1) Sort the temp directories by timestamp and see if there is a pattern.

2) Look at the OS system log for entries at the above timestamps.

3) Do same for Postgres log.