Subject: Re: Multiple tables row insertions from single psql input file

From: Rich Shepard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 13:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024, Ron Johnson wrote:

> With enough clever scripting you can create a .sql file that does almost
> anything.

Ron,

My projects don't all use SQL so I'm far from a clever scripter. :-)

> Most useful to you will be some number of "ALTER TABLE <foo> DISABLE
> TRIGGER ALL;" statements near the beginning of the file, and their "ALTER
> TABLE ... ENABLE TRIGGER ALL;" counterparts near the end of the file.

Doesn't alter table primarily apply to existing row values for specific
columns rather than inserting new rows and their column values?

Thanks,

Rich

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 16:25:54 -0400

> My projects don't all use SQL so I'm far from a clever scripter. :-)

No one is born a scripter, much less a clever scripter.

> columns rather than inserting new rows and their column values?

I don't think so.  For example, pg_dump has an option to add those
DISABLE/ENABLE TRIGGER  statements.  It makes bulk loading of records much
simpler.