Subject: Re: Automatic deletion of orphaned rows

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2025 07:37:17 -0700

On Wednesday, January 22, 2025, Ron Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>> I therefore propose a feature, to be able to specify in a table schema
>> that a row should be deleted if orphaned.
>
>
> For one thing, rows *can't* be orphaned if there's a foreign key
> reference.
>

The description was correct even though using probably imprecise
terminology.  The basic goal is to delete childless parents.

David J.

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2025 10:15:04 -0500

> terminology.  The basic goal is to delete childless parents.

That's kinda what I thought he wrote, but it's so far beyond "normal" that
I dismissed the possibility.  Parents are allowed to not have
children, after all.

Is there *ANY* DBMS with a built-in reverse FK "parents must have children"
feature?

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!