Subject: Re: Can't Remote connection by IpV6

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 08:03:29 -0700

On 6/6/24 07:46, Marcelo Marloch wrote:
> Hi everyone, is it possible to remote connect through IpV6? IpV4 works 
> fine but I cant connect through V6
> 
> postgresql.conf is to listen all address and pg_hba.conf is set with 
> host all all :: md5 i've tried ::/0 and ::0/0 but had no success

Is the firewall open for IPv6 connections to the Postgres port?

Did you reload the server after making the configuration changes?

Define in more detail what 'no success' means.

> 
> my provider is out of ipv4 and they're sending ips by cgnat if I want a 
> public ipv4 I have to sign a very expensive service fee
> 
> thanks a lot

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 11:13:47 -0400

> Is the firewall open for IPv6 connections to the Postgres port?

netcat (comes with nmap) is great for this.  There's a Windows client, too.

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 12:02:00 -0700

On 6/6/24 10:37, Marcelo Marloch wrote:

Reply to list also.
Ccing list

> Hi Adrian thanks for your help, Server is running on windows and I set 
> open 5432 port on windows firewall, I did not see any options regarding 
> if ipv4 or v6. client also uses windows  and connects through odbc 
> driver. over ipv4 it connects flawlessly if it got a public ipv4 but 
> when I set odbc driver server field to an Ipv6 it shows message: 
> connection to server at (ipv6 ip), port 5432 failed: Connection time 
> out(0x0000274C/10060) is the server running on that host and accepting 
> TCP/IP connections? the same message is shown if provider sets to me a 
> not public ipv4

To be clear the Postgres server is running on a Windows instance that is 
itself running on a cloud(?) provider. Seems to me this still points at 
a firewall, namely one the provider has set up in front of your Windows 
instance. The hint would be the public IPv4 address working vs the 
private IPv4 address not working. There is also the issue of whether the 
IP addresses that are not on the public side of the internet are being 
drawn from IP private network ranges(see 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address) that are not publishable to 
the public internet. You may need to talk with the provider and see how 
they suggest you punch a hole through to your Postgres server.

> 
> thank you very much!
> 
> Em qui., 6 de jun. de 2024 às 12:03, Adrian Klaver 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> escreveu:
> 
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>