Subject: Re: PgBackRest fails due to filesystem full

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 12:58:10 -0400

On Mon, Apr 7, 2025 at 5:32 AM KK CHN <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *ERROR: [082]: WAL segment 00000001000001EB000000*4B was not archived
> before the 60000ms timeout
>

This is the part you need to focus on. Look at your Postgres logs and find
out why the archiver is failing. You can also test this without trying a
whole backup by using the "check" command:
https://pgbackrest.org/command.html#command-check

Cheers,
Greg

--
Crunchy Data - https://www.crunchydata.com
Enterprise Postgres Software Products & Tech Support

---

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2025 11:21:45 +0530

> https://pgbackrest.org/command.html#command-check

I have run the check and it says successful !!

[root@dbtest ~]# sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=DBCluster1_Repo
 --log-level-console=info check

[root@dbtest ~]# 2025-04-09 10:52:26.148 P00   INFO: check command begin
2.52.1: --exec-id=384808-715e8496 --log-level-console=info
--log-level-file=debug --pg1-host=10.x.x.x   --pg1-host-user=enterprisedb
--pg1-path=/data/edb/as16/data --pg-version-force=16
--repo1-cipher-pass=<redacted> --repo1-cipher-type=aes-256-cbc
--repo1-path=/data/DB_BKUPS --stanza=DBCluster1_Repo
2025-04-09 10:52:30.502 P00   INFO: check repo1 configuration (primary)
2025-04-09 10:52:31.003 P00   INFO: check repo1 archive for WAL (primary)
2025-04-09 10:52:36.305 P00   INFO: WAL segment 00000001000001ED00000017
successfully archived to
'/data/DB_BKUPS/archive/DBCluster1_Repo/16-1/00000001000001ED/00000001000001ED00000017-8609407e8b9a1827a9d9b3e170dcc53e7af46bac.gz'
on repo1
2025-04-09 10:52:36.721 P00   INFO: check command end: completed
successfully (10575ms)

Then I ran
[root@dbtest ~]# sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=DBCluster1_Repo
--type=diff backup     to test pgbackrest works fine !!!!

It says

2025-04-09 10:53:52.521 P00   INFO*: backup '20250407-150858F' *cannot be
resumed: resume only valid for full backup
^C2025-04-09 10:54:03.351 P00   INFO: backup command end: terminated on
signal [SIGINT]

*But the  # sudo -u postgres pgbackrest --stanza=DBCluster1_Repo info*
 command *never shows such a backup   20250407-150858F exists*.   The
existing backups were 20250316-232631F and prior 2 full backups to this .

Similarly   diff backups  I have the last
one 20250316-232631F_20250329-172215D   and prior diffs only nothing later
than this date .  and one INCR      incr backup:
20250316-232631F_20250330-083923I   noting later date than this..  So since
2025 03 30  all backups   Full/diff/incr fails  ( since the / partition ran
out of space )

Nothing else reported by the info  command..

How can I proceed to bring pgbackrest back to  take backups to normal ?
 [  WAL files are missing then can we never take the Full backups / diff
/inc  ? What is the workaround / solution to deal with this situation ?]

Any hints much appreciated ..

Krishane

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2025 09:16:11 -0400

Try creating a new stanza, and doing a full backup from it.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2025 at 1:49 AM KK CHN <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> This is the part you need to focus on. Look at your Postgres logs and
>> find out why the archiver is failing. You can also test this without trying
>> a whole backup by using the "check" command:

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!