Subject: Approach for DB migration

From: Siraj G <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2025 06:59:46 +0530

Hello Experts!

I have this environment with 100+ DBs and would like to migrate to GCP's
cloud SQL for Postgres.

Primary: 48 CPUs, 48GB memory
Secondary/Read Replica: 80 CPUs, 128GB memory
PG version: 12.22 (we have already started the upgrade process)
OS: Ubuntu

I would like to migrate 2 DBs first and a few more later. I was thinking of
logical replication, but wanted to take recommendations if there are better
approaches available. We cannot afford breaking the read replica due to our
read intensive app connects to this node.

Regards
Siraj

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2025 00:03:10 -0400

On Wed, Aug 6, 2025 at 9:30 PM Siraj G <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would like to migrate 2 DBs first and a few more later. I was thinking
> of logical replication, but wanted to take recommendations if there are
> better approaches available. We cannot afford breaking the read replica due
> to our read intensive app connects to this node.
>

GCP haa a migration service.  Have you investigated it?

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: Siraj G <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2025 09:51:18 +0530

Yes Ron, database migration service. But it works better if we have to
migrate all the DBs in one shot since it converts the target DB into a read
replica during the migration.

Regards
Siraj