Subject: Manual Failover

From: Yongye Serkfem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 11:03:30 -0400

Hello Engineers,
I am facing an issue with the manual failover of the standby to the master
role. I was able to promote the standby and got it out of recovery mode.
How do I direct applications to point to the standby which has assumed the
role of the current master, and what should I do after completing
maintenance on the previous master to assume its original role as master?
I would appreciate any input, and thank you for your time.

Yongye Serkfem

---

From: Rob Sargent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 09:26:06 -0600

On 6/19/24 09:03, Yongye Serkfem wrote:
> Hello Engineers,
> I am facing an issue with the manual failover of the standby to the 
> master role. I was able to promote the standby and got it out of 
> recovery mode. How do I direct applications to point to the standby 
> which has assumed the role of the current master, and what should I do 
> after completing maintenance on the previous master to assume its 
> original role as master?
You need to show your set up (failover script, etc) but usually the 
standby get the ip address of the now-dead master and the apps are none 
the wiser.

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 13:07:56 -0400

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 11:03 AM Yongye Serkfem <[email-masked]> wrote:

> role of the current master,
>

A typical solution is a separate service which manages a virtual IP that
points to whichever DB server you choose.

> and what should I do after completing maintenance on the previous master
> to assume its original role as master?
>

pg_basebackup is guaranteed to get previous-master in sync with
now-active.  pg_rewind might also work.