Subject: Pgbackrest changing RepoServer to new one

From: KK CHN <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2025 12:51:25 +0530

List,

I am in need of changing Repo Server of an existing  working pgbackrest
setup(RHEL 9.3  , pgbackrest 2.52.1  database version 16)

*I have googled,  got the information  that I need to do *

1. First shutdown the   Postgre Server cluster/instance. ( This is a
production server, downtime permissions required if need to do so)

2  stop the stanza  and delete the stanza

3. Then recreate the stanza with the same name from the new  Repo Server.

In need to change the RepoServer due to the storage limitations on the
RepoServer forced to move to a large Repo Server.

Can I bypass the step1 ( shutdown the postgreserver ?) and do step 2 and
step 3,  will this action stalemate the entire DB server and backup setup.

Request your valuable guidance and advice.

Thank you,
Krishane

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2025 09:49:34 -0400

> Request your valuable guidance and advice.

repo entries in pgbackrest.conf are numbered.  "Just" add repo2-xxxx
entries to your existing pgbackrest.conf, and then add "--repo=2" to your
existing pgbackrest commands.

(That *should* work.  I've never had to try it.)

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!