Subject: timescaledb vs NULL vs pg_timeseries vs partman + pgcron + pg_ivm

From: Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 19:10:15 +0300

Hi
in continuation of "Ideas about presenting data coming from sensors"

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/8d2dd92a-da16-435b-a38e-fe72191fc9d1%40cloud.gatewaynet.com

we got the system working in single tables fashion (3 kinds of them), 
since no timeseries solution seemed to fit 100% all the requirements at 
the time, or simply because I didn't have the time to evaluate all the 
existing options.

Fast forward today, in a few months we got almost 63M rows , but this 
will increase exponentially since new vessels will be configured to send 
their sensor's data.

After an initial idea with timescaledb, I tried to install pg_timeseries 
today, and give it a try.

pg_timeseries does not seem active and their "columnar" requirement 
seems to have stuck due to citus not having been updated to postgresql 
17. Stopper.

timescaledb seemed mature, but also exotic, allow me the term. No way to 
use native logical replication, shortage of options to run on premise or 
self hosted, which leaves us with those options :

a) stick with timescaledb in their cloud offering and try to bridge the 
two systems (ours and the new timescaledb instance)

b) convert to native partitioning and just try to manage via partman, 
forgetting for the moment incremental views and columnar store, or maybe 
try to introduce some functionality from pg_ivm + pgcron

So the question : are those are our only options? google says so but is 
this really the case ?

thank you.

---

From: Amitabh Kant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 23:07:32 +0530

On Tue, Apr 8, 2025 at 9:40 PM Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> <snip>
> <snip>
I cannot comment on the applicability of timescaledb in your context, but
running it on premise/self-hosted has posed no problems, at least on
Debian.

If I understood your query incorrectly, please ignore.

Amitabh

---

From: Achilleas Mantzios <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 20:59:52 +0300

On 8/4/25 20:37, Amitabh Kant wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2025 at 9:40 PM Achilleas Mantzios - cloud 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>     <snip>
> I cannot comment on the applicability of timescaledb in your context, 
> but running it on premise/self-hosted has posed no problems, at least 
> on Debian.
>
Thank you, I meant the paid/supported service not the community version. 
Which of the two do you use?