Subject: Re: v16 roles, SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, ADMIN FALSE

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 12:58:06 -0700

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 12:23 PM Christophe Pettus <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> This is more curiosity than anything else.  In the v16 role system, is
> there actually any reason to grant membership in a role to a different
> role, but with SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, and ADMIN FALSE?  Does the role
> granted membership gain any ability it didn't have before in that case?
>
>
That scenario is allowed but provides no useful in-server behavior.  I
suppose the membership presence/absence could be given external meaning by
a DBA.  Personally, I'd just add a metric on the server counting these and
alert if it is ever non-zero.

David J.

---

From: Christophe Pettus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 13:14:21 -0700

> On Jul 8, 2024, at 12:58, David G. Johnston <[email-masked]> wrote:
> That scenario is allowed but provides no useful in-server behavior. 

That was my conclusion as well.  Thanks!