Subject: Re: postgres in swap space

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2025 21:49:59 +0100

On Mon, 2025-11-17 at 18:25 +0100, Marc Millas wrote:
> Can someone point me to any doc describing why and how much space postgres uses on the swap of a debian machine ?
> it's an old postgres 10, because it is used by a product for which only this version is certified.
> (no comment on that, please)

I'm biting down a comment.

PostgreSQL itself doesn't use any swap space.

The kernel can decide to swap out memory used by PostgreSQL.  How much that is depends
on how you configured the Linux kernel and how much memory PostgreSQL uses.  The latter
is mostly determined by "shared_buffers", "work_mem", "maintenance_work_mem" and
"max_connections".

On the kernel side, it is mostly the "vm.swappiness" parameter that determines how
eager the kernel is to swap out memory, even if there is no pressure.  For best
performance, that should happen as little as possible, and the database should
determine what to keep in memory and what to store on disk.

One tool you have to prevent shared buffers from being swapped out is to define enough
Linux hugepages, so that PostgreSQL can allocate shared buffers there.  Linux does not
swap out hugepages.

You can find the PostgreSQL parameters described in the PostgreSQL documentation and the
kernel parameters in the kernel documentation.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2025 16:12:10 -0500

On Mon, Nov 17, 2025 at 3:50 PM Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > Can someone point me to any doc describing why and how much space
> postgres uses on the swap of a debian machine ?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" works just fine (until it doesn't).

-- 
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.
<Redacted> lobster!

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2025 22:07:30 -0500

> is mostly determined by "shared_buffers", "work_mem", "maintenance_work_mem" and

I wrote a blog entry about swap space:

	https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2012.html#July_25_2012

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  Do not let urgent matters crowd out time for investment in the future.

---

From: Marc Millas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2025 21:23:18 +0100

Clear !
thanks Laurentz

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334
www.mokadb.com