Subject: Subscribe to mailing list - General Question

From: Sindhu Selvaraj <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2024 04:53:09 +0100

In 15.7 and 16.3 Release Notes, I found a change to an unlogged table's
sequence.

Make ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN create identity/serial sequences with the
same persistence as their owning tables (Peter Eisentraut)

CREATE UNLOGGED TABLE will make any owned sequences be unlogged too. ALTER
TABLE missed that consideration, so that an added identity column would
have a logged sequence, which seems pointless.

Major version upgrade to 15.7 or 16.3 is failing on pg_restore step with
following error,

pg_restore: creating TABLE "public.queue_context"

pg_restore: creating SEQUENCE "public.queue_context_id_seq"

pg_restore: while PROCESSING TOC:

pg_restore: from TOC entry 200; 1259 <NUMBER> SEQUENCE queue_context_id_seq
sindhu.selvaraj

pg_restore: error: could not execute query: ERROR:  unexpected request for
new relfilenode in binary upgrade mode

Command was:

-- For binary upgrade, must preserve pg_class oids and relfilenodes

SELECT
pg_catalog.binary_upgrade_set_next_heap_pg_class_oid('<NUMBER>'::pg_catalog.oid);

SELECT
pg_catalog.binary_upgrade_set_next_heap_relfilenode('<NUMBER>'::pg_catalog.oid);

ALTER TABLE "public"."queue_context" ALTER COLUMN "id" ADD GENERATED BY
DEFAULT AS IDENTITY (

    SEQUENCE NAME "public"."queue_context_id_seq"

    START WITH 1

    INCREMENT BY 1

    NO MINVALUE

    NO MAXVALUE

    CACHE 1

);

ALTER SEQUENCE "public"."queue_context_id_seq" SET LOGGED;

This has been spotted in local postgres installed in MAC as well as in AWS
RDS.

We had to change the unlogged table to logged and then upgrade.

I am reporting this as a bug. Please keep us updated.

Regards,

Sindhu

SINDHU SELVARAJ

POSTGRESQL DBA

STARLING BANK

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2024 08:09:27 -0700

> This has been spotted in local postgres installed in MAC as well as in 
> AWS RDS.
> 

That should be done here:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/submitbug/

FYI, you will need to set up a community account to do that.

> SB Logo

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]