Subject: Re: postgresql FDW vs dblink for DDL

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2024 11:40:00 -0400

Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 9/9/24 03:24, Achilleas Mantzios - cloud wrote:
>> And the thing is that this creation via DDL is inside our design. 
>> Certain users create some backup tables of the public data in their own 
>> schema (via our app), then do some manipulations on the public data, 
>> then restore to the public or merge with the backups. When done, those 
>> backup tables are dropped. So the DDL is inside the app. And the 
>> question was if dblink is my only option, in the sense of doing this in 
>> a somewhat elegant manner. (and not resort to scripts, etc)

> My sense is yes, if you want to encapsulate all of this within the 
> database/app you will need to use dblink.

postgres_fdw certainly can't do it, nor any other FDW -- the FDW APIs
simply don't cover issuance of DDL.  If you don't like dblink, you
could consider writing code within plperlu or plpythonu or another
"untrusted" PL, making use of whatever Postgres client library exists
within that PL's ecosystem to connect to the remote server.  It's also
possible that there's some third-party extension that overlaps
dblink's functionality.  dblink sure seems like the path of least
resistance, though.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Achilleas Mantzios <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 19:56:00 +0300

> dblink's functionality.  dblink sure seems like the path of least
Thank you Tom and Adrian.

-- 
Achilleas Mantzios
  IT DEV - HEAD
  IT DEPT
  Dynacom Tankers Mgmt (as agents only)