Subject: Does included columns part of the PK

From: Igor Korot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 02:09:04 -0500

Hi, ALL,
Have one weird question ;-)

When I connect with ODBC and call SQLPrimaryKey() the function returns
all fields including
"included" fields.

However running libpq and trying to get the table info with:

[quote]
    L"SELECT DISTINCT column_name, data_type,
character_maximum_length, character_octet_length, numeric_precision,
numeric_precision_radix, numeric_scale, is_nullable, column_default,
CASE WHEN column_name IN (SELECT ccu.column_name FROM
information_schema.constraint_column_usage ccu,
information_schema.table_constraints tc WHERE ccu.constraint_name =
tc.constraint_name AND tc.constraint_type = 'PRIMARY KEY' AND
ccu.table_name = $2) THEN 'YES' ELSE 'NO' END AS is_pk,
ordinal_position FROM information_schema.columns col,
information_schema.table_constraints tc WHERE tc.table_schema =
col.table_schema AND tc.table_name = col.table_name AND
col.table_schema = $1 AND col.table_name = $2 ORDER BY
ordinal_position;";
[/quote]

I'm getting only direct PK fields.

I presume that libpq is correct and the ODBC driver is the one that
needs to be fixed.

Just wanted to ask this list before going to complain to the ODBC list... ;-)

Thank you.

---

From: Igor Korot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 02:12:42 -0500

Below is the version info I use on this machine:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 53.38 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild   R    ] dev-db/postgresql-16.2:16::gentoo  USE="icu lz4 nls
pam readline ssl xml zlib zstd -debug -doc -kerberos -ldap -llvm -perl
-python (-selinux) -server* -static-libs -systemd -tcl -uuid"
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11 -python3_10 -python3_12" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-db/psqlodbc-11.01.0000::gentoo  USE="ssl -doc
-iodbc -threads" 0 KiB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
WaylandGnome /home/igor/dbhandler/Debug #

Thank you.

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 08:07:37 -0700

> I presume that libpq is correct and the ODBC driver is the one that

Odbc does seem to be in the wrong here, yes.

David J.

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 08:25:08 -0700

> When I connect with ODBC and call SQLPrimaryKey() the function returns

Are you actually using the SQLPrimaryKeys(), not SQLPrimaryKey()?

> "included" fields.

Define 'included' fields.

> I'm getting only direct PK fields.

Define direct PK fields.

> I presume that libpq is correct and the ODBC driver is the one that

Returning the actual results from each case would help.

Have you cranked up the logging on the Postgres server to see what query 
ODBC is using?

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 08:51:24 -0700

> Define 'included' fields.

They are referring to the unique index that backs the PK constraint.

David J.

---

From: Igor Korot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 09:56:55 -0700

Hi,

> They are referring to the unique index that backs the PK constraint.

Not “they” - “He”. 😊

And yes - that’s what I’m referring to.

Thank you.

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2026 16:30:19 -0700

On 3/14/26 9:56 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2026 at 8:51 AM David G. Johnston 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     On Saturday, March 14, 2026, Adrian Klaver
>     <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 

 From here:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/db2-for-zos/12.0.0?topic=functions-sqlprimarykeys-get-primary-key-columns-table:

1	TABLE_CAT	VARCHAR(128)	This is always null.
2	TABLE_SCHEM	VARCHAR(128)	The name of the schema containing TABLE_NAME.
3	TABLE_NAME	VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL	Name of the specified table.
4	COLUMN_NAME	VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL	Primary key column name.
5	KEY_SEQ	SMALLINT NOT NULL	Column sequence number in the primary key, 
starting with 1.
6	PK_NAME	VARCHAR(128)	Primary key identifier. Contains a null value if 
not applicable to the data

 From here:

https://github.com/postgresql-interfaces/psqlodbc/blob/main/info.c

At line 4035 in SQLPrimaryKeys()

For case 1

/*
				 * Simplified query to remove assumptions about number of
				 * possible index columns. Courtesy of Tom Lane - thomas
				 * 2000-03-21
				 */

[...]

"select ta.attname, ia.attnum, ic.relname, n.nspname, tc.relname"
					" from pg_catalog.pg_attribute ta ... "

case 2

select ta.attname, ia.attnum, ic.relname, n.nspname, NULL"
					" from pg_catalog.pg_attribute ta, ..."

If I am following correctly then:

attname = column_name
attnum = key_seq
ic.relname = pk_name
nspname = table_schem
tc.relname = table_name

So how are using it in your code and what are the actual results?

Also what is showing up in the Postgres logs?

---

From: Igor Korot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2026 01:24:38 -0500

Hi, Adrian,

> not applicable to the data

Lets start with the beginning:

draft=# CREATE TABLE leagues_new(id serial, name varchar(100),
drafttype smallint, scoringtype smallint, roundvalues smallint,
leaguetype char(5), salary integer, benchplayers smallint, primary
key(id) INCLUDE (drafttype, scoringtype) WITH( fillfactor = 50,
deduplicate_items = OFF ));
CREATE TABLE
draft=#