Subject: replication

From: Marc Millas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2025 15:50:53 +0200

Hello,

One of my customers tells me he did a replication with the master on a
debian 10
and the slave on a debian 12, both with a pg13.20, one on a pgdg110+1, the
other a pgdg120.1

is this a good idea ??? (I don't think so...)

thanks,

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334

---

From: Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2025 15:19:58 +0100

On 4/25/25 14:50, Marc Millas wrote:
> and the slave on a debian 12, both with a pg13.20, one on a pgdg110+1, 
> the other a pgdg120.1
>

Sorry I dont quite get the pgdg110 vs pgdg120 distinction I guess they 
each support a different release of debian, but using the same 
architecture (e.g. amd64), same on disk structure structure , same 
PostgreSQL major version is a minimum for physical replication and you 
are 100% safe with that.

In order to be more flexible your client might want to try logical 
replication which lifts any of the restrictions mentioned above (if 
applicable) and even allows near zero-time upgrades.