Subject: Purpose of pg_dump tar archive format?

From: Ron Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 08:13:32 -0400

It doesn't support compression nor restore reordering like the custom
format, so I'm having trouble seeing why it still exists (at least without
a doc warning that it's obsolete).

---

From: Erik Wienhold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 15:48:50 +0200

Maybe because of this:

> *	The tar format also includes a 'restore.sql' script which is there for
> *	the benefit of humans. This script is never used by pg_restore.

I've never used that restore.sql, so I can't say how useful it is,
especially since it requires editing $$PATH$$.  Should be mentioned in
the docs if that file is still relevant.

-- 
Erik

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 07:43:39 -0700

On 6/4/24 05:13, Ron Johnson wrote:
> format, so I'm having trouble seeing why it still exists (at least 
> without a doc warning that it's obsolete).

pg_dump -d test -U postgres -Ft  | gzip --stdout > test.tgz

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]