Subject: could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

From: Nick Renders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:14:52 +0100

Hello,

We have a Postgres server that intermittently logs the following:

2024-02-26 10:29:41.580 CET [63962] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:30:11.147 CET [90610] LOG:  could not open file "postmaster.pid": Operation not permitted; continuing anyway
2024-02-26 10:30:11.149 CET [63975] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:30:35.941 CET [63986] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:30:41.546 CET [63991] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:30:44.398 CET [63994] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:31:11.149 CET [90610] LOG:  could not open file "postmaster.pid": Operation not permitted; continuing anyway
2024-02-26 10:31:11.151 CET [64008] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:31:41.546 CET [64023] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:32:11.150 CET [90610] LOG:  could not open file "postmaster.pid": Operation not permitted; continuing anyway
2024-02-26 10:32:11.153 CET [64035] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:32:41.547 CET [64050] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:33:11.151 CET [90610] LOG:  could not open file "postmaster.pid": Operation not permitted; continuing anyway
2024-02-26 10:33:11.153 CET [64062] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
2024-02-26 10:33:41.548 CET [64087] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

This has happened 3 times over the last 2 weeks now, without any indication what caused it.
The privileges of those 2 files are all in order.
When this happens, the server is no longer accessible, and we need to restart the service (pg_ctl restart).
Once restarted, Popstgres runs fine again for a couple of days.

We are running PostgreSQL 16.2 on macOS 14.3.1.

Any idea what might be causing this issue, or how to resolve it?

Best regards,

Nick Renders

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:29:59 +0100

> We are running PostgreSQL 16.2 on macOS 14.3.1.

Perhaps that is some kind of virus checker or something else that locks files.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe