Subject: Re: How to Build Postgres in a Portable / Relocatable fashion?

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 17:29:34 -0700

On 5/3/24 17:07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May  3, 2024 at 11:27:12PM +0000, AJ ONeal wrote:
>>>> Back in the good old days there was official 1st-party support for Linux:
>>> This
>>> was/is a third party site.
>>
>> Oh. I thought that EDB was *the* Postgres company like MySQL AB was *the* MySQL company. My mistake.
> 
> How did you come to that conclusion?  Is there something we could do to
> avoid this assumption.
> 

 From here:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/

#1 IN POSTGRES
THE MOST ADMIRED, DESIRED, & USED DATABASE.

is not helpful.

Though I would say the bigger issue is here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/

Where you have

Packages and Installers

and then further down

3rd party distributions

It tends to imply that the 'Packages and Installers' are not third 
party, when they are to some degree or another.

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 20:35:05 -0400

On Fri, May  3, 2024 at 05:29:34PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> It tends to imply that the 'Packages and Installers' are not third party,
> when they are to some degree or another.

I think it is that way because we don't have any guarantees or regular
communication with "3rd party distributions".

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  Only you can decide what is important to you.

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 19:35:24 -0700

> communication with "3rd party distributions".

I would say it is not clear enough that Core is responsible for the 
source releases, anything above that is some other groups 
responsibility. This becomes apparent when you have to tell people that 
fixing packaging issues requires reaching out to said groups through 
means that are not entirely clear.