Subject: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 21:45:35 -0400

Hi,

Attached is a copy of the PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement 
draft. This contains a user-facing summary of some of the features that 
will be available in the Beta, as well as a call to test. I've made an 
effort to group them logically around the different workflows they affect.

A few notes:

* The section with the features is not 80-char delimited. I will do that 
before the final copy

* There is an explicit callout that we've added in the SQL/JSON features 
that were previously reverted in PG15. I want to ensure we're 
transparent about that, but also use it as a hook to get people testing.

When reviewing:

* Please check for correctness of feature descriptions, keeping in mind 
this is targeted for a general audience

* Please indicate if you believe there's a notable omission, or if we 
should omit any of these callouts

* Please indicate if a description is confusing - I'm happy to rewrite 
to ensure it's clearer.

Please provide feedback no later than Wed 2024-05-22 18:00 UTC. As the 
beta release takes some extra effort, I want to ensure all changes are 
in with time to spare before release day.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: David Rowley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 14:42:37 +1200

Thanks for writing that up. It's always exciting to see this each year.

> should omit any of these callouts

I'd say the streaming read stuff added in b5a9b18cd and subsequent
commits like b7b0f3f27 and 041b96802 are worth a mention. I'd be happy
to see this over the IS NOT NULL qual stuff that I worked on in there
or even the AVX512 bit counting. Speeding up a backwater aggregate
function is nice, but IMO, not compatible with reducing the number
reads.

There's some benchmarking in a youtube video:
https://youtu.be/QAYzWAlxCYc?si=L0UT6Lrf067ZBv46&t=237

> Please provide feedback no later than Wed 2024-05-22 18:00 UTC.

The only other thing I saw from a quick read was a stray "the" in "the
copy proceed even if the there is an error inserting a row."

David

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 17:34:56 -0400

> in with time to spare before release day.

Thanks for all the feedback to date. Please see the next revision. 
Again, please provide feedback no later than 2024-05-22 18:00 UTC.

Thanks,

Jonathan