Subject: Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:38:26 -0700

Hi,

On 2024-03-22 13:25:56 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The short answer is that Autoconf is not designed to support -Werror
> and it's not worth it to try to make it do so.

I wonder if we ought to make configure warn if it sees -Werror in CFLAGS -
this is far from the first time somebody stumbling with -Werror. Including a
few quite senior hackers, if I recall correctly.  We could also just filter it
temporarily and put it back at the end of configure.

I don't think there's great way of making the autoconf buildsystem use -Werror
continually, today. IIRC the best way is to use Makefile.custom.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:02:45 -0400

> temporarily and put it back at the end of configure.

I think I made this mistake at some point, but I just looked at
config.log and corrected my mistake. I'm not strongly against having
an explicit check for -Werror, but I think the main problem here is
that the original poster didn't have a look at config.log to see what
the actual problem was, and at least IME that's necessary in pretty
much 100% of cases where configure fails for whatever reason. Perhaps
autotools could be better-designed in that regard, but we don't
necessarily want to work around every problem that can stem from that
design choice in our code, either.

-- 
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Andres Freund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:31:22 -0700

Hi,

On 2024-03-22 15:02:45 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> config.log and corrected my mistake.

IME the bigger issue is that sometimes it doesn't lead to outright failures,
just to lots of stuff not being detected as supported / present.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:34:56 -0400

> just to lots of stuff not being detected as supported / present.

Ugh. That does, indeed, sound not very nice.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:43:33 -0400

> Ugh. That does, indeed, sound not very nice.

I could get behind throwing an error if -Werror is spotted.  I think
trying to pull it out and put it back is too much work and a bit
too much magic.

			regards, tom lane