Subject: Re: Change the bool member of the Query structure to bits

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:45:51 -0500

Quan Zongliang <[email-masked]> writes:
> The Query structure has an increasing number of bool attributes. This is 
> likely to increase in the future. And they have the same properties. 
> Wouldn't it be better to store them in bits? Common statements don't use 
> them, so they have little impact. This also saves memory space.

I'm -1 on that, for three reasons:

* The amount of space saved is quite negligible.  If queries had many
Query structs then it could matter, but they don't.

* This causes enough code churn to create a headache for back-patching.

* This'll completely destroy the readability of these flags in
pprint output.

I'm not greatly in love with the macro layer you propose, either,
but those details don't matter because I think we should just
leave well enough alone.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Quan Zongliang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:45:22 +0800

> but those details don't matter because I think we should just
I get it. Withdraw.