Subject: Re: New developer papercut - Makefile references INSTALL

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:26:33 +0100

> On 17 Jan 2022, at 11:25, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> That said, I'm not sure we're actually gaining anything by *not*
> referring to the website as well. TBH, I bet the majority of users
> will actually prefer to read them there. So I'd suggest always
> including the reference to the website as well, per the suggestion
> from Tim.

Fair point, I'll go ahead and do that in a bit unless anyone objects.

--
Daniel Gustafsson		https://vmware.com/

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:51:09 +0100

> On 17 Jan 2022, at 13:26, Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I plan on applying the attached which address the feedback given.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:05:36 +0100

> I plan on applying the attached which address the feedback given.

The indentation of the two INSTRUCTIONS= lines uses a different mix of 
tabs and spaces, so it looks a bit weird depending on how you view it.

It's also a bit strange that the single quotes are part of the value of 
$INSTRUCTIONS rather than part of the fixed text.

The URL links to the "devel" version of the installation instructions, 
which will not remain appropriate after release.  I don't know how to 
fix that without creating an additional maintenance point.  Since 
README.git already contains that link, I would leave off the web site 
business and just make the change of the dynamically chosen file name.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:06:44 -0500

> I plan on applying the attached which address the feedback given.

+1

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:54:14 +0100

> On 18 Jan 2022, at 17:05, Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The indentation of the two INSTRUCTIONS= lines uses a different mix of tabs and spaces, so it looks a bit weird depending on how you view it.
> 
> It's also a bit strange that the single quotes are part of the value of $INSTRUCTIONS rather than part of the fixed text.

Fixed both of these, thanks!

> The URL links to the "devel" version of the installation instructions, which will not remain appropriate after release.  I don't know how to fix that without creating an additional maintenance point.  Since README.git already contains that link, I would leave off the web site business and just make the change of the dynamically chosen file name.

I ended up pushing this with the URL in place as there IMO was consensus in the
thread for including it.  We could if we want to update it to point to v15 docs
once we branch off, but anything more than that is probably in the diminishing
returns territory in terms of effort involved.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:57:39 -0500

> returns territory in terms of effort involved.

I think pointing at devel is fine, since this text is mostly aimed
at developers or would-be developers anyway.

			regards, tom lane