Received: from malur.postgresql.org ([217.196.149.56]) by arkaria.postgresql.org with esmtp (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyPPE-0000Fy-3C for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 29 May 2015 18:53:20 +0000 Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=postgresql.org) by malur.postgresql.org with smtp (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyPPC-0003i4-D8 for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 29 May 2015 18:53:18 +0000 Received: from makus.postgresql.org ([2001:4800:1501:1::229]) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.2:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA256:256) (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyPP9-0003hS-Th; Fri, 29 May 2015 18:53:16 +0000 Received: from momjian.us ([72.94.173.45]) by makus.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:256) (Exim 4.84) (envelope-from ) id 1YyPP2-00037N-RX; Fri, 29 May 2015 18:53:14 +0000 Received: from bruce by momjian.us with local (Exim 4.72) (envelope-from ) id 1YyPP1-0002Oo-C8; Fri, 29 May 2015 14:53:07 -0400 Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 14:53:07 -0400 From: Bruce Momjian To: Robert Haas Cc: "pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org" , pgsql-core Subject: Re: postpone next week's release Message-ID: <20150529185307.GA16602@momjian.us> References: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline In-Reply-To: User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.20 (2009-06-14) X-Pg-Spam-Score: -1.9 (-) List-Archive: List-Help: List-ID: List-Owner: List-Post: List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Mailing-List: pgsql-hackers Precedence: bulk Sender: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 02:02:43PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote: > Hi, > > I think we should postpone next week's release. I have been hard at > work on the multixact-related bugs that were reported in 9.4.2 and > 9.3.7, and the subsequent bugs found by code-reading, but getting them > all fixed by Monday doesn't seem realistic. Such fixes should have > careful review, and not be dashed into the tree under time pressure. > > We could do the release anyway to relieve the pain caused by the > fsync-pgdata hard-failure problem, but it seems to me that if we do > that, we're just going to end up having to do yet another release > almost right away. I think it would be better to wait and do one > release that fixes both sets of issues. It does seem wise to make sure we have all these items fixed. We have PR'ed the recovery failure issue so I think we are good at this point. I see having to put out another multi-xact-only fix release the week after as being a bigger negative. -- Bruce Momjian http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com + Everyone has their own god. + -- Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org) To make changes to your subscription: http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers