Received: from malur.postgresql.org ([217.196.149.56]) by arkaria.postgresql.org with esmtp (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQZE-0004cm-2Y for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 29 May 2015 20:07:44 +0000 Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=postgresql.org) by malur.postgresql.org with smtp (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQZD-00028f-Ji for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 29 May 2015 20:07:43 +0000 Received: from makus.postgresql.org ([2001:4800:1501:1::229]) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.2:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA256:256) (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQZB-000285-2s; Fri, 29 May 2015 20:07:41 +0000 Received: from momjian.us ([72.94.173.45]) by makus.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:256) (Exim 4.84) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQZ8-0004dB-CH; Fri, 29 May 2015 20:07:39 +0000 Received: from bruce by momjian.us with local (Exim 4.72) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQZ4-0006Yp-Jl; Fri, 29 May 2015 16:07:34 -0400 Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 16:07:34 -0400 From: Bruce Momjian To: Tom Lane Cc: Stephen Frost , Magnus Hagander , Robert Haas , "pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org" , pgsql-core Subject: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release Message-ID: <20150529200734.GE16602@momjian.us> References: <20150529185431.GG26667@tamriel.snowman.net> <26984.1432927977@sss.pgh.pa.us> <20150529195609.GD16602@momjian.us> <20150529195751.GN26667@tamriel.snowman.net> <27697.1432929660@sss.pgh.pa.us> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline In-Reply-To: <27697.1432929660@sss.pgh.pa.us> User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.20 (2009-06-14) X-Pg-Spam-Score: -1.9 (-) List-Archive: List-Help: List-ID: List-Owner: List-Post: List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Mailing-List: pgsql-hackers Precedence: bulk Sender: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 04:01:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote: > Stephen Frost writes: > > * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote: > >> I am unclear if we are anywhere near ready for beta1 even in June. Are > >> we? > > > I'm all about having that discussion... but can we do it on another > > thread or at least wait til we've decided about the back-branch > > releases? They are clearly the more important issue to consider. > > It's the same discussion though, ie what releases are we expecting to > get out in the next couple of weeks. Agreed. If we want to put out beta1 before PGCon, I need to start on the release notes on Monday. > It's possible that we ought to give up on a pre-conference beta. > Certainly a whole lot of time that I'd hoped would go into reviewing > 9.5 feature commits has instead gone into back-branch bug chasing this > week. Based on what has transpired in the past two weeks, I am thinking we need to move _slower_, not faster. I am concerned we have focused so much on new features that we have taken our eye off of reliability. -- Bruce Momjian http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com + Everyone has their own god. + -- Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org) To make changes to your subscription: http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers