Subject: Re: Is pg_regress --use-existing used by anyone or is it broken?

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 14:38:27 -0700

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 03:11:15PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> When looking at pg_regress I noticed that the --use-existing support didn't
> seem to work.  ISTM that the removal/creation of test databases and roles
> doesn't run since the conditional is reversed.  There is also no support for
> using a non-default socket directory with PG_REGRESS_SOCK_DIR.  The attached
> hack fixes these and allows the tests to execute for me, but even with that the
> test_setup suite fails due to the tablespace not being dropped and recreated
> like databases and roles.
> 
> Is it me who is too thick to get it working, or is it indeed broken?  If it's
> the latter, it's been like that for a long time which seems to indicate that it
> isn't really used and should probably be removed rather than fixed?
> 
> Does anyone here use it?

I don't think I've ever used it.  AFAICT it was added with hot standby mode
(efc16ea) to support 'make standbycheck', which was removed last year
(4483b2cf).  Unless someone claims to be using it, it's probably fine to
just remove it.

-- 
Nathan Bossart
Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com