Subject: Re: Add pgindent test to check if codebase is correctly formatted

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:50:59 +0100

Hmm, should this also install typedefs.list and pgindent.man?
What about the tooling to reformat Perl code?

-- 
Álvaro Herrera               48°01'N 7°57'E  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Linux transformó mi computadora, de una `máquina para hacer cosas',
en un aparato realmente entretenido, sobre el cual cada día aprendo
algo nuevo" (Jaime Salinas)

---

From: "Tristan Partin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:15:38 -0600

> What about the tooling to reformat Perl code?

Good point about pgindent.man. It would definitely be good to install 
alongside pgindent and pg_bsd_indent.

I don't know if we need to install the typedefs.list file. I think it 
would just be good enough to also install the find_typedefs script. But 
it needs some fixing up first[0]. Extension authors can then just 
generate their own typedefs.list that will include the typedefs of the 
extension and the typedefs of the postgres types they use. At least, 
that is what we have found works at Neon.

I cannot vouch for extension authors writing Perl but I think it could 
make sense to install the src/test/perl tree, so extension authors could 
more easily write tests for their extensions in Perl. But we could 
install the perltidy file and whatever else too. I keep my Perl writing 
to a minimum, so I am not the best person to vouch for these usecases.

[0]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/aaa59ef5-dce8-7369-5cae-487727664127%40dunslane.net

-- 
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)