Subject: Re: remaining sql/json patches

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:04:51 +0100

On 2024-Mar-28, Amit Langote wrote:

> Here's patch 1 for the time being that implements barebones
> JSON_TABLE(), that is, without NESTED paths/columns and PLAN clause.
> I've tried to shape the interfaces so that those features can be added
> in future commits without significant rewrite of the code that
> implements barebones JSON_TABLE() functionality.  I'll know whether
> that's really the case when I rebase the full patch over it.

I think this barebones patch looks much closer to something that can be
committed for pg17, given the current commitfest timeline.  Maybe we
should just slip NESTED and PLAN to pg18 to focus current efforts into
getting the basic functionality in 17.  When I looked at the JSON_TABLE
patch last month, it appeared far too large to be reviewable in
reasonable time.  The fact that this split now exists gives me hope that
we can get at least the first part of it.

(A note that PLAN seems to correspond to separate features T824+T838, so
leaving that one out would still let us claim T821 "Basic SQL/JSON query
operators" ... however, the NESTED clause does not appear to be a
separate SQL feature; in particular it does not appear to correspond to
T827, though I may be reading the standard wrong.  So if we don't have
NESTED, apparently we could not claim to support T821.)

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"La fuerza no está en los medios físicos
sino que reside en una voluntad indomable" (Gandhi)