Subject: Re: Question about non-blocking mode in libpq

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 21:11:06 -0400

Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> writes:
> Okay, I added "_successful_ calls", attached.  I am not sure what else
> to add.

What I'm objecting to is removal of the bit about "if they need to be
called again".  That provides a hint that retry is the appropriate
response to a failure.  Admittedly, it's not 100% clear, but your
version makes it 0% clear.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 21:55:49 -0400

> version makes it 0% clear.

I thought the original docs said you had to re-call on failure (it would
not block but it would fail if it could not be sent), while we are now
saying that it will be queued in the input buffer.

Is retry really something we need to mention now?  If out of memory is
our only failure case now ("unable to enlarge the buffer because OOM"),
is retry really a realistic option?

Am I missing something?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  Only you can decide what is important to you.