Subject: Re: initdb --no-locale=C doesn't work as specified when the environment is not C

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:16:03 -0500

Kyotaro Horiguchi <[email-masked]> writes:
> It seems somewhat intentional that only lc_messages references the
> environment at boot time. On the other hand, previously, in the
> absence of a specified locale, initdb would embed the environmental
> value in the configuration file, as it seems to be documented. Given
> that initdb is always used for cluster creation, it's unlikey that
> systems depend on this boot-time default for their operation.

Yeah, after further reflection there doesn't seem to be a lot of value
in leaving these entries commented-out, even in the cases where that's
technically correct.  Let's just go back to the old behavior of always
uncommenting them; that stood for years without complaints.  So I
committed your latest patch as-is.

> By the way, the lines around lc_* in the sample file seem to have
> somewhat inconsistent indentations. Wouldnt' it be preferable to fix
> this? (The attached doesn't that.)

They look all right if you assume the tab width is 8, which seems to
be what is used elsewhere in the file.  I think there's been some
prior discussion about whether to ban use of tabs at all in these
sample files, so as to reduce confusion about how wide the tabs are.
But I'm not touching that question today.

			regards, tom lane