Received: from malur.postgresql.org ([217.196.149.56]) by arkaria.postgresql.org with esmtp (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQBS-0003Bn-Ur for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 29 May 2015 19:43:11 +0000 Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=postgresql.org) by malur.postgresql.org with smtp (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQBS-0007kN-6M for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Fri, 29 May 2015 19:43:10 +0000 Received: from makus.postgresql.org ([2001:4800:1501:1::229]) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.2:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA256:256) (Exim 4.80) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQBO-0007fg-I0; Fri, 29 May 2015 19:43:06 +0000 Received: from sss.pgh.pa.us ([66.207.139.130]) by makus.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA384:256) (Exim 4.84) (envelope-from ) id 1YyQBM-00047U-0T; Fri, 29 May 2015 19:43:05 +0000 Received: from sss1.sss.pgh.pa.us (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by sss.pgh.pa.us (8.14.4/8.14.4) with ESMTP id t4TJh1dh027263; Fri, 29 May 2015 15:43:01 -0400 From: Tom Lane To: Magnus Hagander cc: Stephen Frost , Robert Haas , "pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org" , pgsql-core Subject: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release In-reply-to: References: <20150529185431.GG26667@tamriel.snowman.net> <26984.1432927977@sss.pgh.pa.us> Comments: In-reply-to Magnus Hagander message dated "Fri, 29 May 2015 21:35:55 +0200" Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:43:01 -0400 Message-ID: <27262.1432928581@sss.pgh.pa.us> X-Pg-Spam-Score: -1.9 (-) List-Archive: List-Help: List-ID: List-Owner: List-Post: List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Mailing-List: pgsql-hackers Precedence: bulk Sender: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org Magnus Hagander writes: > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote: >> I think there's no way that we wait more than one additional week to push >> the fsync fix. So the problem is not with scheduling the update releases, >> it's with whether we can also fit in a 9.5 beta release before PGCon. > I think 9.5 beta has to stand back. The question is what we do with the > potentially two minor releases. Then we can slot in the beta whenever. > If we do the minor as currently planned, can we do another one the week > after to deal with the multixact issues? (scheduling wise we're going to > have to do one the week after *regardless*, the question is if we can make > two different ones, or if we need to fold them into one) I suppose we could, but it doubles the amount of release gruntwork involved, and it doesn't exactly make us look good to our users either. I believe Christoph indicated that he was going to cherry-pick the fsync patch and push out an intermediate Debian package with that fix, so at least for that community there is not an urgent reason to get out a set of releases with only the fsync fixes and not the multixact fixes. I'm not clear though on how many of the other reports we heard came from Debian users. (Some of them did, but maybe not all.) regards, tom lane -- Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org) To make changes to your subscription: http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers