Subject: Re: Call pqPipelineFlush from PQsendFlushRequest

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 15:00:42 -0500

Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 2023-Nov-07, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Indeed, it looks a bit strange that there is no flush if the buffer
>> threshold is reached once the message is sent, so your suggestion
>> sounds right.  Alvaro?

> Pushed, thanks.

I observe that this patch did not touch libpq.sgml, which still says

       Note that the request is not itself flushed to the server automatically;
       use <function>PQflush</function> if necessary.

Doesn't that require some rewording?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 23:33:49 +0100

> Doesn't that require some rewording?

I agree that the current wording is slightly incorrect, but I think I
prefer we keep it this way. The fact that we actually DO flush when
some internal buffer is filled up seems more like an implementation
detail, than behavior that people should actually be depending upon.
And even knowing the actual behavior, still the only way to know that
your data is flushed is by calling PQflush (since a user has no way of
checking if we automatically flushed the internal buffer).