Subject: Re: Problem while installing PostgreSQL using make

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2024 12:32:17 +0200

> On 4 Jul 2024, at 12:27, Aleksander Alekseev <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
>>> Flex 2.5.4 is ancient. Version 2.5.39 was released in 2020 and I
>>> didn't look further to figure out the exact release year of 2.5.4
>>> 
>>> You need something like flex 2.6.4 and bison >= 2.3. That's what I use.
>> 
>> can you send me a link to download this version on windows as I didn't find anything other than the one I already have downloaded
> 
> We don't use top posing in this mailing list [1].
> 
> Sorry, I only have Linux and MacOS. Here are the scripts I use [2].
> Maybe someone who develops on Windows will answer your questions.
> However IMO your learning curve will be less steep with a Linux
> virtual machine.

Flex/Bison are only required when building from a Git tree, downloading a
source archive and building from there might be easier to get started.

	https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

--
Daniel Gustafsson

---

From: Aleksander Alekseev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2024 13:34:21 +0300

Hi,

>         https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

It could work but personally I wouldn't recommend this path for
someone who wants to contribute.

-- 
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2024 11:37:48 -0400

> 	https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

That's no longer true I think - as of v17 the source tarballs won't
contain any generated files, so you do need flex and bison if you want
to do any sort of development.  I am mildly astonished to hear that
too-old versions of those tools aren't extinct in the wild, though.

In any case I agree with the recommendation to install and use git
rather than downloading source tarballs.

			regards, tom lane