Subject: Re: Adding extension default version to \dx

From: Michael Banck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 15:56:31 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2025 at 01:04:14PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> In an effort to make at least a couple of more people realize they have to
> run ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE after they've upgraded an extension,  as well as
> make it a bit easier to realize when you have to do it, I propose we add
> the default version of an extension to \dx in psql

+1, I think this is useful.

> diff --git a/src/bin/psql/describe.c b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
> index d5543fd62b0..319ad15d4de 100644
> --- a/src/bin/psql/describe.c
> +++ b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
> @@ -6107,13 +6107,16 @@ listExtensions(const char *pattern)
>  	initPQExpBuffer(&buf);
>  	printfPQExpBuffer(&buf,
>  					  "SELECT e.extname AS \"%s\", "
> -					  "e.extversion AS \"%s\", n.nspname AS \"%s\", c.description AS \"%s\"\n"
> +					  "e.extversion AS \"%s\", ae.default_version AS \"%s\","
> +					  "n.nspname AS \"%s\", c.description AS \"%s\"\n"
>  					  "FROM pg_catalog.pg_extension e "
>  					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = e.extnamespace "
>  					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description c ON c.objoid = e.oid "

Not really part of your patch, but "pg_catalog.pg_description c" looks
weird/might be a typo? It is "pg_catalog.pg_description d" everywhere
else AFAICT. So maybe this could be fixed/changed in passing?

> +					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_available_extensions() ae(name, default_version, comment)  ON ae.name=e.extname "
>  					  "AND c.classoid = 'pg_catalog.pg_extension'::pg_catalog.regclass\n",
>  					  gettext_noop("Name"),
>  					  gettext_noop("Version"),
> +					  gettext_noop("Default version"),

pg_available_extensions has "installed_version" and "default_version", I
wonder whether it would make sense to harmonize that and change
"Version" to "Installed version" as well when we change the output
anyway?

Michael

---

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 13:39:46 -0600

> +1, I think this is useful.

+1

> else AFAICT. So maybe this could be fixed/changed in passing?

Yeah, "c" seems to ordinarily be used for pg_class, so +1 for changing it
to "d".

> "Version" to "Installed version" as well when we change the output

+1

Separately, I see that there's one update needed for
src/test/regress/expected/psql.out.  The documentation for \dx looks
generic enough that it probably doesn't need any updates, though.

-- 
nathan

---

From: "Jelte Fennema-Nio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 15:51:24 +0100

> generic enough that it probably doesn't need any updates, though.

Attached is an updated patch that fixes the tests and changes the
whitespace as discussed (including removing a spurious second space
before the ON, which I noticed while changing it). As well as a seprate
patch that changes the "c" alias to "d".
From 9762388cfe3b16b22a468ebe29b613e2b81088f3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 15:18:27 +0100
Subject: [PATCH v2 1/2] Add default extension version to \dx

In an effort to make at least a couple of more people realize they have
to run ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE after they've upgraded an extension,  as
well as make it a bit easier to realize when you have to do it, this
adds the default version of an extension to the output of \dx. We
previously showed the installed version in the schema, but no
indications that a newer one might be installed on the system.
---
 src/bin/psql/describe.c            | 5 ++++-
 src/test/regress/expected/psql.out | 6 +++---
 2 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/bin/psql/describe.c b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
index e6cf468ac9e..01e62430fff 100644
--- a/src/bin/psql/describe.c
+++ b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
@@ -6188,13 +6188,16 @@ listExtensions(const char *pattern)
 	initPQExpBuffer(&buf);
 	printfPQExpBuffer(&buf,
 					  "SELECT e.extname AS \"%s\", "
-					  "e.extversion AS \"%s\", n.nspname AS \"%s\", c.description AS \"%s\"\n"
+					  "e.extversion AS \"%s\", ae.default_version AS \"%s\","
+					  "n.nspname AS \"%s\", c.description AS \"%s\"\n"
 					  "FROM pg_catalog.pg_extension e "
 					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = e.extnamespace "
 					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description c ON c.objoid = e.oid "
+					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_available_extensions() ae(name, default_version, comment) ON ae.name = e.extname "
 					  "AND c.classoid = 'pg_catalog.pg_extension'::pg_catalog.regclass\n",
 					  gettext_noop("Name"),
 					  gettext_noop("Version"),
+					  gettext_noop("Default version"),
 					  gettext_noop("Schema"),
 					  gettext_noop("Description"));
 
diff --git a/src/test/regress/expected/psql.out b/src/test/regress/expected/psql.out
index 6543e90de75..38e24df33ab 100644
--- a/src/test/regress/expected/psql.out
+++ b/src/test/regress/expected/psql.out
@@ -6459,9 +6459,9 @@ List of schemas
 (0 rows)
 
 \dx "no.such.installed.extension"
-     List of installed extensions
- Name | Version | Schema | Description 
-------+---------+--------+-------------
+              List of installed extensions
+ Name | Version | Default version | Schema | Description 
+------+---------+-----------------+--------+-------------
 (0 rows)
 
 \dX "no.such.extended.statistics"

base-commit: 454c182f8542890d0e2eac85f70d9a254a34fce3
-- 
2.43.0

From 042fe1d90aa12d798387b61dcd35115626714fec Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 15:41:48 +0100
Subject: [PATCH v2 2/2] Use d alias for pg_description consistently

In the psql query for \dx we used "c" as an alias for pg_description.
That's a pretty arbitrary letter and given that in all other queries in
use "d" as alias for that table this changes that to follow that
convention.

Reported-By: Michael Banck
---
 src/bin/psql/describe.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/src/bin/psql/describe.c b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
index 01e62430fff..0e13c81a203 100644
--- a/src/bin/psql/describe.c
+++ b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
@@ -6192,7 +6192,7 @@ listExtensions(const char *pattern)
 					  "n.nspname AS \"%s\", c.description AS \"%s\"\n"
 					  "FROM pg_catalog.pg_extension e "
 					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = e.extnamespace "
-					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description c ON c.objoid = e.oid "
+					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description d ON d.objoid = e.oid "
 					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_available_extensions() ae(name, default_version, comment) ON ae.name = e.extname "
 					  "AND c.classoid = 'pg_catalog.pg_extension'::pg_catalog.regclass\n",
 					  gettext_noop("Name"),
-- 
2.43.0

---

From: "Jelte Fennema-Nio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 16:05:34 +0100

> patch that changes the "c" alias to "d".

Ugh, I forgot to commit a few additional lines in the second patch.
Fixed now.
From 9762388cfe3b16b22a468ebe29b613e2b81088f3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 15:18:27 +0100
Subject: [PATCH v3 1/2] Add default extension version to \dx

 

From 8f047924e0d5e7fbf4ad7064b5be1b9fe3b53078 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 15:41:48 +0100
Subject: [PATCH v3 2/2] Use d alias for pg_description consistently

Reported-By: Michael Banck
---
 src/bin/psql/describe.c | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/bin/psql/describe.c b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
index 01e62430fff..bf565afcc4e 100644
--- a/src/bin/psql/describe.c
+++ b/src/bin/psql/describe.c
@@ -6189,12 +6189,12 @@ listExtensions(const char *pattern)
 	printfPQExpBuffer(&buf,
 					  "SELECT e.extname AS \"%s\", "
 					  "e.extversion AS \"%s\", ae.default_version AS \"%s\","
-					  "n.nspname AS \"%s\", c.description AS \"%s\"\n"
+					  "n.nspname AS \"%s\", d.description AS \"%s\"\n"
 					  "FROM pg_catalog.pg_extension e "
 					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = e.extnamespace "
-					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description c ON c.objoid = e.oid "
+					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_description d ON d.objoid = e.oid "
 					  "LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_available_extensions() ae(name, default_version, comment) ON ae.name = e.extname "
-					  "AND c.classoid = 'pg_catalog.pg_extension'::pg_catalog.regclass\n",
+					  "AND d.classoid = 'pg_catalog.pg_extension'::pg_catalog.regclass\n",
 					  gettext_noop("Name"),
 					  gettext_noop("Version"),
 					  gettext_noop("Default version"),
-- 
2.43.0

---

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 09:40:47 -0600

> Ugh, I forgot to commit a few additional lines in the second patch.

Thanks, Jelte.  I can take care of committing this if Magnus can't get to
it soon.

-- 
nathan