Received: from malur.postgresql.org ([217.196.149.56]) by arkaria.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.3:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256) (Exim 4.92) (envelope-from ) id 1nGs4K-0003wO-Jn for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Mon, 07 Feb 2022 00:39:48 +0000 Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=malur.postgresql.org) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtp (Exim 4.92) (envelope-from ) id 1nGs4J-0002hr-BN for pgsql-hackers@arkaria.postgresql.org; Mon, 07 Feb 2022 00:39:47 +0000 Received: from magus.postgresql.org ([2a02:c0:301:0:ffff::29]) by malur.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.3:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256) (Exim 4.92) (envelope-from ) id 1nGs4J-0002hi-1x for pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org; Mon, 07 Feb 2022 00:39:47 +0000 Received: from sss.pgh.pa.us ([66.207.139.130]) by magus.postgresql.org with esmtps (TLS1.3:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256) (Exim 4.92) (envelope-from ) id 1nGs4G-0007xg-Lg for pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org; Mon, 07 Feb 2022 00:39:46 +0000 Received: from sss1.sss.pgh.pa.us (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by sss.pgh.pa.us (8.15.2/8.15.2) with ESMTP id 2170ddDN803504; Sun, 6 Feb 2022 19:39:39 -0500 From: Tom Lane To: Michael Paquier cc: Andrew Dunstan , Justin Pryzby , Peter Eisentraut , Daniel Gustafsson , Bruce Momjian , pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org Subject: Re: pg_upgrade should truncate/remove its logs before running In-reply-to: References: <9f05b844-3a54-5883-9d3b-b5df12cbce88@dunslane.net> <668240.1644130701@sss.pgh.pa.us> <669599.1644131868@sss.pgh.pa.us> <546d16e8-769a-9078-420a-d62e1e8345ff@dunslane.net> Comments: In-reply-to Michael Paquier message dated "Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:33:13 +0900" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-ID: <803502.1644194379.1@sss.pgh.pa.us> Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 19:39:39 -0500 Message-ID: <803503.1644194379@sss.pgh.pa.us> List-Id: List-Help: List-Subscribe: List-Post: List-Owner: List-Archive: Archived-At: Precedence: bulk Michael Paquier writes: > On Sun, Feb 06, 2022 at 08:32:59AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote: >> But the commit really shouldn't have happened until we know that most >> buildfarm owners have installed it. It should have waited wait not just >> for the release but for widespread deployment. Otherwise we will just >> lose any logging for an error that might appear. > Would it be better if I just revert the change for now then and do it > again in one/two weeks? I don't see a need to revert it. I note, though, that there's still not been any email to the buildfarm owners list about this update. regards, tom lane