Subject: Re: cfbot is failing all tests on FreeBSD/Meson builds

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 21:53:02 -0500

Thomas Munro <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 5:06 PM Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Thomas Munro <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Ahh, there is one: https://github.com/cpan-authors/IO-Tty/issues/38

>> Just for the archives' sake: I hit this today on a fresh install
>> of FreeBSD 14.0, which has pulled in p5-IO-Tty-1.18.  Annoying...

> FWIW here's what I did to downgrade:

Thanks for the recipe --- this worked for me, although I noticed
it insisted on installing perl5.34-5.34.3_3 alongside 5.36.
Doesn't seem to be a problem though --- the main perl installation
is still 5.36.

FWIW, I spent some time yesterday staring at IPC/Run.pm and
came to the (unsurprising) conclusion that there's little we can
do to work around the bug.  None of the moving parts are exposed
to callers.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that the above-cited issue report is
complaining about the same thing that's biting us.  The reported error
messages are completely different.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:36:22 +1200

> Doesn't seem to be a problem though --- the main perl installation

Looks like CI is broken in this way again, as of ~13 hours ago.
Looking into that...

> messages are completely different.

You could be right about that.  It seems there was a clash between an
upstream commit and a patch in FBSD's port tree, which has just been
removed:

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=276535

So perhaps it's time for me to undo what I did before...  looking now.

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:00:29 +1200

> So perhaps it's time for me to undo what I did before...  looking now.

It turned out that I still needed the previous work-around, but I was
too clever for my own boots last time.  For the record, here is the
new change to the image building script:

https://github.com/anarazel/pg-vm-images/commit/faff91cd40d6af0cbc658f5c11da47e2aa88d332

I should have listened to Bilal's prediction[1] about this the first
time.  But this time, I know that the real fix is coming in the next
package very soon, per bugzilla link above.

One thing I noticed is that 010_tab_completion is actually being
skipped, with that fix.  It used to run, I'm sure.  Not sure why, but
I'll look more seriously when the 1.21 or whatever shows up.  At least
we should soon have green CI again in the meantime.

[1] https://github.com/anarazel/pg-vm-images/pull/92