Subject: Re: Time to drop RADIUS support?

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2026 20:02:44 -0500

Thomas Munro <[email-masked]> writes:
> Great, it sounds like we have a plan.  I think the wiki might be a
> good place for that documentation.  The details are likely to change,
> and I wouldn't want to have to maintain that information in-tree, so I
> created some PAM how-to documentation at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/RADIUS after testing on Debian and
> FreeBSD.

Ok ...

> We could point to that from the 19 release notes and in the
> deprecation notice added to the documentation for 14-18, calling it
> "community-maintained guidance on migration to supported
> configurations".  Do we need to keep any trace of this in the 19 docs,
> and if so, where?  A new tombstone section?

I think we don't want
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-radius.html
to become 404, so I'd advocate keeping a short section with that
SGML ID that says we no longer support RADIUS directly and
gives a pointer to the wiki page.  It probably doesn't belong
exactly where it is today in the TOC, though, but shoved off
in a corner somewhere.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2026 22:47:53 +1200

> exactly where it is today in the TOC, though, but shoved off

TIL that there is an appendix for that very purpose.  So, done.