Subject: Re: DOCS - Server Applications [option] should be [option...]

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2026 15:47:57 +0100

> On 17 Feb 2026, at 02:08, Peter Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Make the "option" part consistent in the synopses of all Server Applications:
> 
> 1. "[option]" should be "[option...]"

Only if the application can take multiple options.  pg_controldata can for
example only take a single parameter so [option] is correct there.

> 2. It should be first

Why?  I think it makes more sense to list [option...] after required parameters
just like how pg_upgrade does it.  We might not be consistent as is, but I'm
not sure it's a net improvement to always list it first as opposed to what we
have.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

---

From: Peter Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2026 12:21:00 +1100

> example only take a single parameter so [option] is correct there.

You are correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

> not sure it's a net improvement to always list it first as opposed to what we

This patch/thread was primarily about #1, which turned out to be
mistaken. The #2 re-ordering part was just done at the same time, but
got it no support

So, I am withdrawing this patch.

======
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia