Subject: Docs: Create table description for constraints markup fix and label tweaks

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 10:18:41 -0700

Hi,

Responding to a recent report on -general [1] I found a markup bug in the
primary key description under create table.  0001 fixes this.

The complaint itself was about using "column constraint" as a descriptive
label in a syntax area when "column constraint" is an actual defined syntax
label.  0002 adds the word "variant" to the six places "(table/column
constraint)" is used in this manner.

David J.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+FnnTzeE30E4kfK4=[email-masked]

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2026 10:57:27 -0700

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+FnnTzeE30E4kfK4=[email-masked]
The more you look (not having production dark mode in the core build is a
bit annoying)...v2 attached after re-reading the original thread and
looking around a bit more.

Unique had the same sgml markup error as primary key.

Also, the CF entry: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/patch/6648/

David J.

P.S. Reviewing this we are inconsistent as to where we use "optional"
markup versus just literal [ ].  Even among these three locations there are
variances - and simply literals used for optional meaning brackets.

---

From: Dapeng Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 15:42:02 +0800

Hi David,

I reviewed both patches on the latest HEAD.

0001: SGML nesting fix applied and verified - make html
builds successfully with the corrected element nesting
for UNIQUE and PRIMARY KEY.

0002: The six "variant" label changes look good and should
help avoid the confusion reported on -general.

Looks good to me.

Regards,
Dapeng Wang