Subject: DOCS - clarify CREATE SUBSCRIPTION only synchronizes sequences when copy_data=true

From: Peter Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2026 12:51:44 +1200

While reviewing another patch I referred to the information of "29.7.
Replicating Sequences #" [1] which says:
"use CREATE SUBSCRIPTION to initially synchronize the published sequences."

AFAIK, that is not entirely correct -- synchronisation of sequences
happens only when the "copy_data" option is true. Although copy_data
default is true, the original text was misleading. Anyway, it misled
me.

PSA a patch to clarify that "copy_data = true" is needed.

======
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/19/logical-replication-sequences.html

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

---

From: vignesh C <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2026 12:07:30 +0530

> PSA a patch to clarify that "copy_data = true" is needed.

Let's include this to avoid confusion.

Few comments:
1) There should be a space after </link>:
+      use <link linkend="sql-createsubscription-params-with-copy-data">
+      <command>CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... WITH (copy_data = true)</command>
+      </link>to initially synchronize the published sequences.

2) copy_data = true is the default, so it may mislead users into
thinking they must explicitly specify it. How about changing it to:
use CREATE SUBSCRIPTION with the default copy_data = true behavior to
initially synchronize the published sequences.

Regards,
Vignesh

---

From: Peter Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2026 10:49:36 +1200

Hi Vignesh.

Thanks for reviewing!

PSA v2 worded slightly differently to mention the copy_data default.

======
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

---

From: vignesh C <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2026 12:27:04 +0530

Thanks for the updated version. This version looks good to me.

Regards,
Vignesh